So, you’ve got determined to supply a present at your faculty that requires onstage fight. Superior! Now’s the time to contact a professional and skilled struggle director (FD) to choreograph fights so your college students really feel protected and assured performing them.
As soon as you’ve got discovered a struggle director, you may want to fulfill with them (or at the least begin an e mail thread) to debate your imaginative and prescient for the present and the onstage struggle. There are a lot of particulars your FD might want to know, so when you have this data ready upfront, he’ll thanks.
1. Show data
- What is the present? Be sure you ship the FD a script (or on the very least, the struggle scenes) to allow them to put together forward of time.
- What number of fights are there within the collection?
- What’s the setting of the present? For instance, do you Romeo and Juliet historically with rapiers, or within the Wild West with whips and pistols?
- Do you could have a photograph of the set or a scenographic rendering? This fashion the FD can plan round any potential hazard.
- Are there any particular results, lighting results or sound/music that can have an effect on the choreography?
2. Casting Data
- How outdated are the artists who will take part within the struggle on stage? This contains the liners!
- Do the scholars have fight expertise on stage? They do not want it, however that is good to know. If you’re conscious of any motion coaching the scholars have, equivalent to dance, martial arts, or sports activities, that will even be useful to know.
- Are there any potential scholar considerations that the FD ought to concentrate on? This may occasionally embrace scholar availability (do not schedule a struggle rehearsal on a date when one in every of your fighters will probably be away!), behavioral or grading points, or accessibility wants.
3. Time data
- What’s the schedule for rehearsals and performances?
- How a lot rehearsal time do you assume your college students want…
- …and the way a lot time will the FD even have to show and rehearse the choreography?
4. Data on funds, provides and logistics
- Do you could have the funds to pay the FD charges?
- Does the FD have to supply a background test or credentials to your administration earlier than coming to rehearsal?
- Present the tackle and instructions to your faculty and/or rehearsal web site so your DF is aware of the place to go.
- Do you have already got the stage weapons or will you’ll want to hire/purchase weapons? Will you do that, or will you want the FD to get the weapons?
- What’s your funds for the rental and/or buy of stage weapons?
- Do you utilize faux blood? In that case, what sort? Do you could have backup fits obtainable in case gadgets get stained?
- Are there every other particulars your FD must know?
If you do not know the solutions to all of those questions proper now, do not despair! For instance, you may not understand how a lot time to spend on choreography rehearsals or the place to seek out particular stage weapons. Your FD may help you work this stuff out, however having as many particulars deliberate forward as doable will prevent time and stress.
Kerry Hishon is a director, actor, author and stage fighter from London, Ontario, Canada. She blogs at www.kerryhishon.com.
Wish to know extra about our new video games, assets and freebies?
Subscribe to our list!